Wednesday, October 13, 2010

How a Director Prepares-Parade

So, last entry I talked a bit about Parade, the musical. I discussed the issues with the actual script, text, and songs, pointing out how difficult the language can be. Now, I have an interview with Katy Helbacka, director of Parade down at the Renegade Theatre.
I wanted to find out more about her thought process as she begins to take on the task of directing the show.


What, if any, are worries you have about dealing with the anti-Semitism and racism the show brings memories of?

Of course, anytime you're surrounded by racism - whether it's real or being staged - it's uncomfortable. It makes you sad to think people feel that way. But it is also a real part of our history that we cant ignore - instead we should learn from it. And I think this show helps with that.

What do you hope to achieve with this show (as an example to society)?

I honestly dont think of this show as a message about race or anti-semitism, I think of it as a story about one man. One man and his wife and what they achieve together in dire circumstances. There are many themes tied into this one story - racism, sexism, war, law and justice, hatred --- but really, it's about the character journey of Leo Frank, and hopefully his story sheds light on many topics that will just make our audiences go home and think.

What drew you to the show in the first place?

The main reason I was drawn to the piece is because it's a moving and powerful musical that too often goes underproduced or overlooked. It fits perfectly with the mission of our theater, of being the home for new and lesser known works, plus, I feel Duluth may have a special interest in the show due to our history with the Clayton, Jackson, McGhie case.



As Katy goes on to direct the show, I will be interviewing her to find out more about her experience with the show.
I will also be interviewing Bill Payne, professor and director of South Pacific at the University of Minnesota Duluth.

Next blog, I look forward to dealing with the issue of "colorblind casting", or, casting actors of one ethnicity as a character of a different ethnicity.

0 comments:

Post a Comment